The Project for the Registration of Children as British Citizens (PRCBC) is the first and only organisation to focus directly on children and young adults and their right to British citizenship.
Many children and young adults are eligible to register as British citizens, but do not do so for various reasons. We aim to raise awareness of registration and the importance of citizenship, as well as to support and increase the number of children and young adults who register as British citizens.
The first main object of PRCBC is to promote social inclusion for the public benefit by the provision of legal advice, aid, assistance and services in relation to British citizenship claims for children and young people;
The second main object is the prevention and relief of poverty by the provision of legal advice, aid, assistance and services in relation to registering children and young people as British citizens, or establishing their existing British citizenship, primarily to such persons who could not otherwise obtain such provision due to lack of means;
The third main object is the advancement of education, particularly but not limited to matters relating to the legal framework of British citizenship status.
ABOUT OUR WORK
In partnership and with support from other organisations and individuals with similar aims and high standard of service, we:
- Raise awareness of the importance of registration
- Run monthly casework surgery for young persons who are destitute, isolated or have very limited income
- Provide pro bono legal advice and casework for young persons
- Identify and carry out extensive legal research of law, policy and the application of these (some of this work has in the past been funded by the Strategic Legal Fund (SLF))
- Train lawyers and agencies working with young persons such as Social Services and voluntary organisations
- Work in partnership with private, voluntary and statutory bodies to influence law, policy and practice
- Monitor unlawful and poor practice and challenge this by any legal remedy available
- Increase the capacity of advice in England and Wales by providing training and supporting advice agencies and other networks
PRCBC’s beneficiaries receive legal advice and assistance delivered by and under the supervision of Solange Valdez-Symonds, solicitor and CEO.
For basic information on British Citizenship, please read our Leaflets for Parents, Carers and Children, which can be found at this link (this leaflet is being updated and a new version will be published in November 2022):
Children and their Rights to British Citizenship Leaflets:
Printable copy of our General Leaflet HERE
Printable copy of our “Children of EEA/Swiss Nationals” Leaflet (funded by Hogan & Lovells) HERE