The Project for the Registration of Children as British Citizens (PRCBC) is seeking to recruit a Paralegal to provide casework and administrative support to Solange Valdez-Symonds, supervising solicitor and CEO of PRCBC. The post will be based at our office in Hammersmith, London.
PRCBC is a small registered charity representing children and young people with their citizenship rights; undertaking strategic litigation and policy advocacy to remove legal and practical barriers to citizenship; and providing information and training to the public and professionals to increase knowledge of citizenship rights and capacity to secure these.
The work of the paralegal will be supporting all aspects of PRCBC’s work: complex citizenship casework, including litigation in the higher courts; raising public awareness; delivering training to affected individuals and interested organisations; and publishing briefings, blogs and articles. The prospective candidate must have a minimum of one year’s experience as a paralegal, have completed the Legal Practice Course or its equivalent and be able to work under pressure. Please see job description and person specification for more information.
The position is full-time, one-year fixed term (to be extended subject to funding). It is for 5 days per week, which will include out of hours/weekend work. A normal working day is 7 hours, with core hours from 10:00am to 6:00pm. The position is funded by Therium Access. We would wish the successful candidate to start as soon as possible and no later than 18 October 2021.
Salary: 28k per annum
Closing date for applications: 5pm on Wednesday 1 September 2021
First interview: Week commencing Monday 6 September 2021 (first interview will be for about an hour and half. This will include a legal skills test).
Second interview: Week commencing Monday 13 September 2021 (second interview will be for about an hour. This will involve a case study scenario and presentation)
- Application Form
Word version JOB APPLICATION FORM
PDF version JOB APPLICATION FORM
2) Equal Opportunities Monitoring Form:
Word version Equal Opportunity Monitoring Form
PDF version Equal Opportunity Monitoring Form
3) Job Description and Person Specification:
Word version JobDescriptionANDSpec
PDF version JobDescriptionANDSpec
2 August 2021
We are looking for experienced qualified solicitors/caseworkers to volunteer at our monthly Saturday children’s citizenship casework surgery
You will need to :-
- be a qualified practising solicitor or qualified to advise at OISC level 3;
- have specialist knowledge on children and British nationality law or be willing to receive thorough training on this;
- have a passion for social justice;
- have a real commitment to the needs of children/young adults and their carers;
- be able to work within a team of professionals and volunteers from a very diverse group;
- be able to work under pressure and with limited resources;
- have a non-judgmental approach towards our young clients and carers;
- commit to volunteering first Saturday of each month from 10:00am to 5:30pm for a minimum period of 6 months.
Our volunteers are given thorough induction, training, support and supervision. We provide lunch, reasonable travelling and childcare expenses. All our volunteers have to submit to periodic enhanced DBS checks.
Please send your CV to Solange Valdez-Symonds, PRCBC Solicitor/Director, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org